City of Marion Police      
City of Marion Police City of Marion Police City of Marion Police  
City of Marion Police City of Marion Police City of Marion Police City of Marion Police City of Marion Police City of Marion Police City of Marion Police City of Marion Police  

History

Old Marion Police Department New Marion Police Department

            133 Hwy 77                                14 Military Rd

Old Marion Police Department        Police Dept. @ City Hall                    Until 1985                                Until Dec 3,2008                                          

 
                                                             OPENED DECEMBER 3, 2009                                                    
 New Marion Police Deparment in use today

Marion’s present day government dates back to 1931. Prior to 1931, Law Enforcement was handled by the Crittenden County Sheriff’s Department Deputies and Township Constables.

Alvin C. Clarke was the first appointee as a Marion City Marshall in 1931. No others were named until Marion became a city of the second class. Powell Gladstone (Billie) Williams was named Marshall in 1946 and served until 1954. Robert Warren was elected by the council on December 6, 1954. Joe Cook was named to the post in 1971 and then John Griffin was elected in 1973.

After reaching a population of 2,500, Marion became a City of the first class and abolished the position of Marshall.

Ordinance #156 on September 28, 1982 established the first official Police Department and John Griffin was named to the first position of Chief Of Police.

On September 28, 1982 The first Marion Police Department offices were located at 133 highway 77 North here in Marion.

In 1985 The department later moved to its present location 14 Military Road.In 2002 the total strength of the Marion Police Department was 18 employees which includes two Animal Control Officers and one Secretary.

On Dec 3rd, 2009 Chief Gary Kelley accepted the keys to the Marion Police Department which moved from 14 Military Rd (City Hall) to its newly constructed Police Department located at 3477 Hwy 77. The New Building is Law Enforcement only and all city court appearences are still seen in the court room at City Hall.

In 2009 the Marion Police Department has the total strength of 23 Full Time Officers and 11 Part Time officers

 

 

 

"Chief Griffin" Firing Range     

Marion Police Firing Range
   MARION FIRING RANGE BUILDING  

We are very proud of our firing range facility which was built entirely by donations from the Marion community . The range was named after Chief John Griffin for his many years of service and dedication to the City of Marion. The building houses a large class room complete with video training aids as well as a full kitchen and gender friendly restrooms which are also handicap accessible. The building also houses a large and very comfortable conference room. The range itself can accommodate 20 shooters on the firing line which starts at the 3 yard line for close combat training and continues 7, 15, 25 back to the 50 yard line. A long rifle and shotgun range is presently under construction.

Marion Police Firing Range
MARION FIRING RANGE

    


This is the official website for the Marion Arkansas Police Department
14 Military Rd. Marion, Arkansas 72364 | 870-739-2101